The Mother’s work in Orissa started in 1949 when two Study Circles were formed with Sri Aurobindo’s permission (One at Rairangpur in 1949 another at Cuttack in 1950). Sri Ramakrishna Das fondly known as Babaji Maharaj who was a sanyasi at Ajodhya joined Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Pondicherry, on 2nd February 1945. Babaji Maharaj had aspired for the people of Orissa to open to The Mother’s and Sri Aurobindo’s Consciousness. With Mother’s happy approval and Prapatti as an able instrument, the first phase of work included organisation of Study Circles, Students and Youth Associations, Women’s Study Circles, zonal and state level Study Circle Meets etc...